The sound of laughter, the smells of Christmas, red and green everywhere, a present is passed to you with the words ‘Merry Christmas’ and despite the beauty, joy and family in front of you, surrounding you, it’s hard to be present and focused.
With so much on your mind, the presence of family or friends helps you kind of switch off, yet it doesn’t fully distract you from the work stress, the sleeplessness or tension and anxiety which feels like a constant, ever-present unwelcome visitor.
It’s really not a nice feeling.
It taking a toll.
Stress Management has been one of the main capability areas I’ve been working with leaders on this year. Because regardless of Covid pressures and whether the business has been shut, struggling, stabilising or soaring – immense stress and overload have been common place.
Whilst some levels of stress are normal and natural, it’s the extreme and ongoing implications of extreme and continual stress that are very concerning.
Some of the emotional symptoms of stress can include:
- Becoming quickly and easily impatient, agitated, frustrated and moody
- Feeling overwhelmed, lack of control, great difficulty relaxing and quieting your mind
- Feeling bad about yourself (low self-esteem), lonely, worthless, and depressed
- Avoiding others
Some of the physical symptoms of stress can include:
- Low energy, headaches, upset stomach, nausea etc
- Aches, pains, and tense muscles, chest pain and rapid heartbeat
- Frequent colds and infections
- Loss of sexual desire and/or ability
Some of the cognitive symptoms of stress include:
- Constant worrying and racing thoughts
- Forgetfulness and disorganization
- Inability to focus and poor judgment
- Being pessimistic or seeing only the negative side
Some of the behavioral symptoms of stress include:
- Changes in appetite — either not eating or eating too much
- Procrastinating and avoiding responsibilities
- Increased use of alcohol, drugs, or cigarettes
- Exhibiting more nervous behaviors, such as nail biting, fidgeting, and pacing
Whilst we may not have control of the some of the events, circumstances and situations, we face as leaders, we can absolutely change the way in which we respond and react.
In order to lead a team and grow a thriving business, are you proactively looking after yourself and managing your stress levels?
To find out more about how you’re tracking, would you like a copy of our Quick Stress Management Test? Let us know.
Here’s to feeling calmer for Christmas and spending quality time with loved ones.
P.S Whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways I can help you develop and work on your business leadership capabilities:
1. Download a free copy of The Leadership Maximiser Tool, a detailed Productivity and Performance Experience
Lead with clarity and confidence. Minimise overwhelm and indecision. Be organised and focused to lead a flourishing team and grow a thriving business. Accelerate results for you, the team and business with this step-by-step tool. Click here
2. Join the Empowering Leaders Group on Facebook and connect with likeminded leaders from around the globe.
It’s our Facebook community where committed leaders are learning more about creativity, leadership and high-performance. Click here
3. Join our Excelerator Program and lead the way
I am launching a new group intake shortly…stay tuned for details. If you’d like to work with me on your business leadership skills to create, lead and perform… just message me here re. “Lead the Way” in the subject line.
4. Let’s get the team together
If you feel like a cracked recorded saying things over and over again, and would like a different perspective and someone else at the front of the room or on zoom/teams to lead regular and consistent team building, accountability and engaging learning experiences, that drive results and outcomes for individuals, teams and the business, then … comment below or send me a message and put “Private” in the subject line… tell me a little about your business and what you’d like to work on together, and I’ll get you all the details!